Applying To The Undergraduate Program in Dance
UCI Undergraduate Application Period:
November 1st - November 30th
APPLICATION PERIOD WILL OPEN NOVEMBER 1ST
ALL AUDITIONS FOR FALL 2022 WILL BE CONDUCTED IN-PERSON
REGISTER FOR AN AUDITION NO LATER THAN JANUARY 2, 2022
Late registrations will not be accepted
To apply for admission to the UCI Dance Department, first visit the UCI Admissions website for complete details on application procedures and fees. You must apply online to the University of California by November 30th.
In addition to submitting your application to the UC Admissions Office, you must complete a dance audition in order to be consided for the program. Registration for an audition will begin December 5, 2021 through January 2, 2022. All applicants will be prompted to complete an online survey upon submitting the UCI application; please note that it IS IT NOT your audition registration. Registration for a dance audition will open promptly on December 5, 2021.
No other materials, including resumes, photos, and letters of recommendation, are required nor accepted.
UCI is committed to the health and well-being of all faculty, students, and visitors and therefore ask to follow campus safety requirements to mitigate the risk of spreading COVID-19. Please note that UCI is following federal and state guidelines; the event is subject to change and/or modified pending health restrictions. The Department of Dance highly advises all participants TO REFRAIN FROM making travel arrangements until a confirmation email is received via email. The Department of Dance will not be responsible for trip cancellations.
Applicants will have two date options for a live audition, choose only ONE date.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 15, 2022
SATURDAY, JANUARY 29, 2022
Auditions are currently scheduled to be in-person.
Participants are expected to be available all day throughout the duration of the event; no exceptions or accommodations will be made. All applicants must participate in all portions of the audition in order to be considered
Solid-colored leotard and tights, or unitard. Tights must be full length – no shorts or skirts.
Shoes: Ballet slippers
Fitted dance clothes
Shoes: Barefoot or socks
Fitted dance clothes
Shoes: Soft-soled jazz shoes or sneakers
Free choice of typical hip-hop genre attire. Please do not wear clothing with any labels, pictures, slogans, etc.
Shoes: Soft-soled jazz shoes or sneakers
PLEASE NOTE: Dancers WILL NOT be given a break to change between techniques. Dancers may change their outfits if time permits; however, it is not necessary.
Parent/Student Information Session/Webinar:
Welcome and Overview of the Dance Department and Claire Trevor School of the Arts
This is a presentation with a question and answer session led by Molly Lynch, Dance Department Chair, and Amy Kim, Director of Student Affairs for the Claire Trevor School of the Arts. It will also include current dance majors to respond to questions about student life in the department and university.
Please direct all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Incoming Freshmen Students
As well as satisfying University of California subject requirements for undergraduate admission (consult the UCI General Catalogue for details), applicants to the Dance department must demonstrate technical accomplishment and creative promise to succeed in the major. You are encouraged to develop abilities in one or more dance techniques such as ballet, modern, jazz and ethnic dance forms. The department holds annual entrance auditions for potential freshmen during winter quarter prior to acceptance to the Dance Department in the ensuing fall quarter. Additionally, placement examinations are required of all entering dance majors. Placement examinations are given during Welcome Week in fall quarter and determines which levels of ballet, modern, and jazz classes the student will take.
See the UCI General Catalogue curriculum details.
Ideal lower-division preparation for transfer consists of coursework that blends University of California admission requirements, degree requirements of the school and major of your choice, and the general education plan best suited to your interests and goals. Design your schedule to accomplish the following:
1. Satisfy general University of California requirements for admission as a transfer student. You may find more information on the University of California Transfer website.
2. Work toward completing your general education requirements. For students majoring in Dance, it is useful to complete your general education courses prior to transfer by way of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) if you are transferring from a California community college. Completion of general education courses will allow you to focus on the courses required for your major once you transfer here.
3. Work toward meeting the lower-division requirements of your school and major. If you plan to transfer to UCI in your junior year to major in Dance, we recommend that you take the courses listed below prior to transfer:
- An approved one-year sequence in English composition
- Basic training in ballet, jazz, and modern dance technique
4. If courses in the following areas are available at your college, completing them will afford you additional strong preparation for the Dance major at UCI:
- One course in music for dancers
- One course in injury prevention
- One course in Improvisation and Introduction to Choreography
- One year of Dance History
5. All transfer students must attend the entrance audition in the winter prior to acceptance to the Dance major in the ensuing fall quarter. After admission, transfer students must also participate in the placement auditions during welcome week in the fall. This placement level will determine the minimum number of years it will take to complete departmental requirements for the Dance major.
6. To ensure that you are taking the appropriate courses to facilitate your transfer to the UCI Dance Department, work closely with your college counselor, or contact the UCI Office of Admissions.
Photo by Rose Eichenbaum