UCI Claire Trevor School of the Arts Names Ten New Medici Scholars
UCI Claire Trevor School of the Arts (CTSA) is pleased to announce the 2021 Medici Circle Scholars. Ten awards were given to both undergraduate and graduate students offering an opportunity to take their education beyond the classroom and collaborate with academics and artists in our community and worldwide.
Medici Scholarships in Art, Dance, Drama, and Music are competitive and provide deserving young artists and scholars the opportunity to focus on a specific project. This unique program places a faculty mentor to oversee each project and ensure that students enjoy the best possible experience and achieve an excellent outcome. These projects further their research, add to their portfolios, and bolster graduate dissertations.
Scholarships are generously sponsored by Medici Circle Patrons who open doors for a specific talented student and their project and will help them reach their creative professional goals.
Congratulations to the Summer 2021 Medici Scholar awardees:
- Avery Evans and Professor Don Hill, Drama, “Multiply not Divide: A Study on the Lack of Black Managers in Theatre”
- Hannah Albin and Dr. S. Ama Wray, Dance, “Prefer Not To Say”
- Heather Echeverria and Professor Lonnie Alcaraz, Drama, “Great River Shakespeare Festival: Acting Apprenticeship & Curating Community Engaged Theater.”
- Jovia Armstrong and Professor Kojiro Umezaki, Integrated Composition, Improvisation, and Technology, “Epsilon”
- Kelly McGill and Professor Chad Michael Hall, Dance, “On Top of and Below”
- Margaret Oakley and Professor Antoinette LaFarge, Art, “Potable Water Ecologies”
- Qianru Li and Professor Anthony Kubiak, Drama, “One-Child Migration: Intergenerational and Trans-Pacific Care”
- Summer Session & Chloe King and Professor Jane Page, Drama, “Searching for Shelter”
- Tarik Garrett and Professor Simon Leung, Art, From “the struggle”
- Teerath Majumder and Professor Michael Dessen, Integrated Composition, Improvisation, and Technology, “Roots Re-Arranged”
The Claire Trevor School of the Arts gratefully acknowledges our 2021 Medici Scholar Patrons: Valerie Glass, Susan Hori, Sheila and James Peterson, Janice and Ted Smith, Richard and Alison Stein, and Mary Watson-Bruce.
Learn more about how you can become a Medici Circle patron and open doors that would otherwise be out of reach for remarkable students at www.arts.uci.edu/medici-circle.